Learn More

By providing referrals, resources, and other information to students in need we seek to empower students to take advantage of the offices and services that exist on the University of Arkansas campus and in the local community in a manner that allows them to achieve their full potential. If you or someone you know may benefit from this service please report a concern through our online reporting system (available 24 hours), or via phone or email (checked during business hours with the exception of holidays or inclement weather).

For Non-Immediate threats call the University of Arkansas Police Department at 479-575-2222.

Additional Resources

By proactively detecting and identifying students in crisis and distress, we believe we can work together to provide a powerful service to our students.

Parents, faculty, and staff often have the most direct contact with students and thus may be the first to notice any changes. In order to facilitate early identification of difficulties, listed below are some possible issues that may suggest that a student is in need of assistance.

  • a change in class attendance; frequent class absences
  • a drop in GPA or academic performance from the previous semester, especially for students who generally perform above average
  • withdrawal from social interactions with peers, family, and significant others, and expressions of loneliness
  • occurrence of a recent loss or other crisis (e.g., relationship breakup, death of a friend or family member, academic failure)

If you feel a student may be in need of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is better to be proactive than reactive.

Report a Concern Here

For Non-Immediate threats call the University of Arkansas Police Department at (479)575-2222.

Parents can be of great help in ensuring their student gets the best experience available by reporting unusual behavior or warning signs. In order to facilitate early identification of difficulties, listed below are some possible warning signs that may suggest that a student is in need of assistance.

  • a change in appearance (e.g., poor hygiene, weight gain/loss)
  • a drop in GPA or academic performance from the previous semester, especially for students who generally perform above average
  • increased irritability or agitation
  • consistently inappropriate, illogical, or unrelated questions
  • distracted or preoccupied thought processes
  • withdrawal from social interactions with peers, family, and significant others, frequent class absences, and expressions of loneliness
  • fearful responses, such as avoidance or apprehension about being alone
  • occurrence of a recent loss or other crisis (e.g., relationship breakup, death of a friend or family member, academic failure, physical illness, rape/sexual assault)
  • expressions of hopelessness (statements such as "there's no use trying" or "what's the point?")
  • indirect statements or written essays about death or suicide ("I want to disappear," "there's no way out" or "I can't go on") as well as more direct suicidal statements ("I've had thoughts about hurting myself")
  • The appearance of any of the above warning signs may indicate that a student is in distress. If any of these signs are observed, especially on a repeated basis within a short period of time (2 to 3 weeks), it is important to talk with your son or daughter and refer him/her for assistance.

Students are advised to make personal contact with instructors regarding any absences. It is at the discretion of the faculty member to determine whether or not a student can make up any missed work. For more information, review the Attendance Policy for Students.

In the event a student has an existing Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or need for accommodation while on campus they are advised to consult with our Center for Educational Access. Students can request accommodations fitting their needs ranging from note-taker accommodations to mobility assistance. To see if a student qualifies or what accommodations exist, visit CEA's website

Students are encouraged to have discussions with faculty any time a concern arises between them and another student, if there is a conflict with the faculty member or TA of the course, in the event that a student believes they are being treated unfairly, or they feel there has been an unequal application of policies. Students should be aware that there is a process for informal and formal resolution. These resolutions should be used in the event of a grade appeal, allegation of harassment or discrimination, failure to provide reasonable accommodations, or variations of policy applications. For more information about this process, please review: Student Grievances and Appeals in the 2015-2016 Student Catalog.

In the event a student experiences the death of a family member, the Office of the Dean of Students (ODOS)will make every effort possible to assist the student with addressing personal family matters while still remaining a student. The ODOS can assist with instructor notification if the student is unable to make notification on their own behalf due to bereavement. We do ask that students contact us directly, but understand that some circumstances do not allow for this. We wish to express that we cannot share any student information under the constraints of FERPA, but will gladly take information from callers and distribute that information, as is appropriate, to the campus.

In the event of a student death, the ODOS will begin the process as followed in the Fayetteville Policies and Procedures 502.0 Guidelines.

Designated campus partners will begin contacting all necessary departments. On behalf of the University, the Associate Dean of Students for Student Life will contact the family to offer condolences and support, as needed/requested. The UA campus and Division of Student affairs (CAPS, CRO, Campus Ministry, etc.) will be made available and notified for all purposes needed for affected students and staff. If appropriate, University Relations will send a media statement.

Students have a personal obligation to understand and maintain the requirements of their financial aid and scholarships. It is advised that students be aware that they are designated a counselor as indicated by the first letter of their last name. 

For specific questions regarding a Non-Resident Tuition Award, inquiries should be directed to NRTA@uark.edu.

For specific questions related to Academic Challenge Scholarships issues through the Arkansas Department of Higher Education (ADHE), review their website.

In some circumstances students will need to apply for an appeal when Satisfactory Academic Progress is not made. For more information about that policy, students should contact the Office of Financial Aid at 479-575-3806.

In instances in which a student wishes to petition for a waiver of academic rules regarding probation, suspension, or other rules and regulations related to academic progress and graduation they should refer to the Office of the Registrar and consider an Academic Standards Committee Petition.

We understand that college can be expensive and students cannot always manage financially. At this time, there are few resources for a student to obtain assistance through the Office of the Dean of Students, however, students should still be encouraged to call the ODOS in the event resources do become available.

For students who may experience food insecurity, there is a food pantry on campus that can help. The Jane B. Gearhart Full Circle Food Pantry can assist students with meal needs.

Students should be aware that there is a policy in place that can assist them with improving their cumulative GPA by repeating a maximum of 2 courses in which a grade of D or F was received. In order to do this, a student must complete a Grade Forgiveness Petition Form, follow the guidelines on the form, and submit it to the Office of the Registrar.

In the event a student is hospitalized for any reason (medical or psychological) and unable to notify their instructors, the ODOS will notify instructors of the students absence and attempt to give them an idea of how long the student could be away from campus. Students and families are encouraged to maintain contact with the ODOS and faculty if they will continue to be away for an extended period of time. A medical notice or excuse may be required before notice can be sent. Upon release from the hospital, the student will be encouraged to make an appointment with a case manager to discuss their re-entry into classes. The case manager can ensure follow-up services are provided such as CAPS, CEA, or medical withdrawal assistance if it is needed. It should be noted that the ODOS has the capacity to place hold on a student's account to require a meeting if it is imperative that student meet with an administrator to ensure their well-being.

Housing needs can vary from case to case. It is encouraged that student first attempt to meet with a housing representative (if on-campus) or with a member of the Off-Campus Student Services (if off-campus) before coming to the ODOS. At this time, there is no emergency fund or deposit/eviction assistance program in place for students. We will gladly explore options with a student but know that there will unlikely be a solution made by meeting with a Case Manager or Dean.

Students may find themselves in an emergency or medical situation in which they must leave class before the semester has ended but they have satisfactorily completed a majority of their coursework. To prevent a student from losing the successful progress in their course, they can request an Incomplete Grade. There is a series of guidelines students must meet prior to being eligible for this consideration. Students must have a legitimate reason for leaving classes and will have a 12-week period beginning the next semester of their enrollment to complete the regularly assigned course work. If this work is not completed by the end of the 12-week period, the "I" on the student's transcript will be changed to an "F". It is strongly encouraged that students maintain contact with their faculty and keep, in writing, the agreement made for make-up assignments.

Students will sometimes become ill or be injured. In the unfortunate event that this occurs, students are advised to seek medical attention and follow the advice of a medical professional. Students should reach out to faculty on their own and determine what the best course of action should be for making up any missed classes or course work/exams. The ODOS does not determine whether or not a student's absence can be excused. The faculty of a student's course has the final say in whether or not an assignment can be made up. In the event that a student cannot make up work or has missed too much class due to illness or injury, it is suggested that they consider incompletes or withdrawal from courses. It should be noted that the Pat Walker Health Center, located on campus, does not provide a doctor's note to students. Please be advised of this prior to making your appointment. In certain circumstances, the ODOS may be able to confirm a student's absence, but this is very rare, due to HIPPA regulations.

At times international students will find themselves in circumstances beyond their control (i.e. losing sponsorship, needing to drop below the required amount of hours, etc). Students are encouraged to meet with the International Student and Scholars Office prior to seeking assistance from the ODOS. International students should be aware that an official form is required for them to decrease the number of hours required for enrollment, or to withdraw from classes completely. For more information, contact our ISS office at 479-575-5003.

The U of A does not currently have a medical withdrawal policy. It is advised that students make contact with a case manager in the ODOS to discuss options. Some options include, but are likely not limited to, withdrawing themselves through UA Connect, obtaining refunded housing/meal plans, refunds on parking permits, requesting a retroactive withdrawal from the Registrar (documentation required), a compassionate refund adjustment through the Treasurer, and/or scholarship deferral. Each situation is determined on a case-by-case basis. Not every circumstance will qualify for the above listed options.